Sunday, May 18, 2014

Rockin' the Road: The Road That Leads To Home

The final trip home...this is the last of my pics from my recent trip to the Midwest. I was ready to get home, as I missed my own familiar land, but in some respects I wasn't. I knew it would be a long drive, and there are just some days where you just really don't feel like being in close quarters. But there were still some laughs along the way, and a few decent pictures of the scenery. The Midwest is definitely different from the South. We stopped in Columbia, MO, for a night's rest, and then the next day we just drove straight home. What awaited at the end was interesting.

 
Midwest road trip
The first morning of our drive back.

Midwest road trip
Morning sunrise. I just loved these shots--they were so beautiful, peaceful. It inspired a poem that I quickly penned down, which I will share near the end.

Midwest road trip

Midwest road trip

Midwest road trip
Sunset on the road. Aren't those colors beautiful?

Midwest road trip

Midwest road trip
I had to chuckle when I caught this shot by accident.


Midwest road trip
At this moment...we're lost. Not a peaceful time inside the car. So I focused on the scenery.

Midwest road trip
This was a flowering tree (not sure what type) right beside where we finally parked at our hotel in Columbia, MO. Not what I was trying to capture, but it is an interesting pic, I think.

Midwest road trip flowering trees
Next morning at our first gas stop the next morning, I was allowed to get out and capture some photos of these flowering trees. They may be apple trees--I know apple trees have white blossoms, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough to actually say so.

Midwest road trip flowering trees
When I see simple beauty like this, I wonder what God must have been thinking when he created flowers.

Midwest road trip flowering trees

Midwest road trip flowering trees

Midwest road trip flowering trees

Midwest road trip flowering trees

Midwest road trip
It was a long drive home, but the scenery helped with the crampedness. And the frappacino helped too. ;)

Midwest road trip

Midwest road trip
Finally, the landscape of home. Beauty to my eyes.
window rain drops

window rain drops

southern skies
We got a bit of rain on our arrival. What a blessing! It was beautiful to watch, and to see the drops on the window....

southern skies

southern skies

window rain drops

prairie rain

prairie rain

prairie rainbow
And to come home to a double rainbow! How awesome is that?

prairie rainbow
It was huge!!

rainbow reflection
Isn't the reflection amazing?

rose leaves
I came home to the plants doing well, having got a brief rainfall. I was very grateful for that.



Now if that isn't incredible, I don't know what is. Now that's called a welcome home!



* 5/24/14  note: I accidentally forgot to post the poem! But here it is. Thanks Lizzie, for reminding me!



Rebirth


Oh, that I could but step out
Into the forest edge,
And rest in the serenity
Of their quiet morning shadows.
I would that you'd give birth to me there
In the rising sun's sympathetic rays
That spread and weave like golden water
Round ageless, stalwart boles
And whispering rivers, ancestral voices
Calming me into soothing tranquil sleep.
May be, that my spirit will rise
Like the peeling paleness of slender birches
Finding the breath of life overhead.
Perhaps then, as the morning continues to rise
I'll find my own wings amidst the shades
Of gold, and shadow.



  ~Miss Cocoa Latte 

P.S. For those of you who haven't seen the interview post with Rachel from Hippie In Heels,(who is living in India!) here it is! It was enormous fun and it was great getting to know her! Here's the link!

hippie in heels camel safari

7 comments:

  1. Wow...I think I liked the Texas pics the best - so barren and windblown, set against such gorgeous skies. But. It. Is. Flat. I don't know if I could take it - I need me some mountains to hide between. I'm looking out the window right now at the Blue Ridge - a view I never get tired of. But I must say, those pictures give me an idea of the vastness of the plains - beautiful.

    And a single hawk burst into flight and in the east the whole horizon is in flames;
    I feel the thunder in the sky,
    I see the sky about to rain,
    And with the prairies I am calling out your name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is flat. And I can't imagine how weird that must be for people used to living in the mountains! However, I do not have the experience--so I'm wondering what living in the mountains would be like for me. I think I'd easily get used to it and love it, as I love different places so much, but I think my heart would always stay essentially in the plains.

      I love that song, by the way! Now, if only I could remember what it was called and who did it...was it Michael W Smith?

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures! I really enjoyed this post. The lyrics that the first commenter posted are from "Calling Out Your Name" by Rich Mullins! One of my favorites. =)
    I was looking forward to reading the poem that you mentioned was inspired by the sunrise, but either I missed it somehow, or you decided not to share it after all...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I did forget! I'm going to have to add that.... Glad you liked the pictures! And for telling me the song/artist! Now it seems obvious. ;)

      Delete
    2. I would have had a very difficult time figuring out the song, except we recently got back into Rich Mullins's music! So he was fresh in my mind. =)
      Thanks for sharing the poem, it's beautiful!

      Delete
  3. These photographs are really beautiful! The rainbow is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's great to see you here!

      Delete

I do not allow any profanity or inappropriate comments on my blog--please keep your words considerate to others, as well as speaking your mind!